My 5 why nots? Here they are:
- allow multiple renewals on checked out items and keep books in the hands of your users rather then on the shelves.
- use the PA system to share friendly announcements and promos at the top of each hour. Record them in advance, add music and make them sound appealing.
- showcase local artists work (including school art) 365 days a year.
- do storytime & puppet show birthday parties (for a fee too!). Make sure every kid attending gets a library card and show them how much fun a library can be.
- offer a mylar cover wrapping service for a small fee. I think there are tons of booklovers out there who adore this service.
OK, that's my 5 for the evening ... what's yours?